Part of the mission of the Association for Women in Communications is to champion the advancement of women across all communications disciplines by recognizing excellence, and to promote leadership. AWC does this with many ways:
- The Clarion Awards is a renowned competition open to all communicators. The awards annually recognize excellence in communications fields.
- The International Matrix Award rewards a communications professional for achieving the highest level of professional excellence. The AWC Board of Directors instituted this award in 1998.
- The AWC Headliner Award recognizes an AWC member who has recent national accomplishments, as well as consistent communications excellence.
AWC Annual Professional & Student Chapter Awards:
- AWC Professional Chapter Awards are presented each year at the annual conference to AWC professional and student chapters that have excelled in leadership, communications and community support. This includes the AWC Chapter Star Award and AWC Chapter Excellence Award.
- The AWC Student Chapter Awards annually recognize outstanding student members, advisors and chapters on the basis of leadership activities and contributions to school and community. This award was created in 1990. This includes the AWC Rising Star Award (highest achievement award for an AWC Student), AWC Outstanding Chapter Award, and AWC Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award.
AWC Non-Traditional Awards:
- The National Georgina MacDougall Davis Award given in the name of one of the organization’s founders, recognizes continuous, distinguished service to AWC goals. The award may not be given more than five times in a decade.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award rewards longstanding professional accomplishments and service to the association. AWC created the award in 1997.
- The Ruth Weyand and the Business Pinnacle Award is named in honor of a labor attorney who worked tirelessly for women’s rights in the workplace. It recognizes companies with forward-thinking policies toward women and minorities. AWC created the award in 1998.